Browse Items (15 total)

Creamware.JPG
These pieces of creamware come from plates that the Steward likely used to serve Liberty Hall students in the late eighteenth-century. Creamware, a popular but plain ceramic, was popularized due to its convenience to make and sturdiness.

IMG_1263.JPG
This plate is painted in a technique that was invented in the 1820s, so it dates to after the period of the Academy. It serves as evidence that the house was occupied well after Liberty Hall Academy burned down. The plate itself is also burnt, which…

LH_slides_20160322_stewardshouse_010.tif
In the 1970s, John McDaniel, a professor at Washington and Lee, led a team of researchers in the excavation and analysis of many back campus sites including the Steward’s house.

IMG_1265.JPG
This plate is an example of an early lead glazed creamware that dates back to the 1790s. It serves as an example of the kind of plate that the Steward may have owned.

IMG_1397.JPG
This is a mule shoe showing that the Steward’s house was part of a farm after the campus moved closer to the town of Lexington in 1803. According to oral history, the Steward’s house was occupied until the early 20th century.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2